
Adam was the first man of all men; Ahman is one of the names by which God was known to Adam. Adam-ondi-Ahman, a name carried over from the pure Adamic language into English, is one for which we have not been given a revealed, literal translation. As near as we can judge — and this view comes down from the early brethren who associated with the Prophet Joseph Smith, who was the first one to use the name in this dispensation — Adam-ondi-Ahman means the place or land of God where Adam dwelt.
Apparently the area included was a large one; at least, the revelations speak of the land, the valley, and the mountains of Adam-ondi-Ahman. They tell us that Christ himself "established the foundations of Adam-ondi-Ahman" (D. & C. 78:15-16), and that it included the place now known as Spring Hill, Daviess County, Missouri. (D. & C. 116.)
One of the greatest spiritual gatherings of all the ages took place in the Valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman some 5,000 years ago, and another gathering — of even greater importance relative to this earth's destiny — is soon to take place in that same location. Our revelations recite: "Three years previous to the death of Adam, he called Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, and Methuselah who were all high priests with the residue of his posterity who were righteous, into the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman and there bestowed upon them his last blessing.At that great gathering Adam offered sacrifices on an altar built for the purpose. A remnant of that very altar remained on the spot down through the ages. On May 19, 1838, Joseph Smith and a number of his associates stood on the remainder of the pile of stones at a place called Spring Hill, Daviess County, Missouri. There the Prophet taught them that Adam again would visit in the Valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman, holding a great council as a prelude to the great and dreadful day of the Lord. (Mediation and Atonement pp. 69-70.) At this council, all who have held keys of authority will give an accounting of their stewardship to Adam. Christ will then come, receive back the keys, and thus take one of the final steps preparatory to reigning personally upon the earth. (Dan. 7:9-14; Teachings, p. 157.)
My first long cross-country trip I took on my motorcycle in 2008, I spent some time alone in Adam-ondi-Ahman. What I felt there, was no different than what I feel in the temple. This valley had a very special and sacred feeling. I sensed the presence of many there from beyond the veil.
Here is the post from my blog made in 2008:
"After Liberty Jail, I traveled about 70 miles north, to Adam-Ondi-Ahman. As I entered the property, I experienced similar feelings as I did in the Sacred Grove in Upper State New York. I knew that I was on hallowed ground.
As I sat all alone on a hill overlooking Adam-Ondi-Ahman, I tried to imagine Father Adam, just before his death, blessing his children. It was in this area, that Adam and Eve, when they were driven out of the Garden of Eden, built an altar and offered sacrifices. It will be in this area, all who have held keys of authority will give an accounting of their stewardship to Adam. Christ will then come, receive back the keys, and thus take one of the final steps preparatory to reigning personally upon the earth. – Bruce R. McConkie. This is truly sacred ground." (End of Post)
As I have thought about the significance of Adam-ondi-Ahman, I have come to realize the importance about this tract of land. To think that all the prophets down to Adam will be there, along with our Savior, to hand the priesthood keys back, thus beginning the reign of Christ as King of Kings, and supreme leader of the earth, and will take us into the Millennium under his leadership.
I look forward to that day.
Love, Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment