Elder Boyd K. Packer:
"Of all that I have read and taught and learned, the one most precious and sacred truth that I have to offer is my special witness of Jesus Christ. He lives. I know He lives. I am His witness. And of Him I can testify. He is our Savior, our Redeemer. Of this I am certain. Of this I bear witness in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland:
"I declare some things I now know. I know that God is at all times and in all ways and in all circumstances our loving, forgiving Father in Heaven. I know Jesus was His only perfect child, whose life was given lovingly by the will of both the Father and the Son for the redemption of all the rest of us who are not perfect. I know He rose from that death to live again, and because He did, you and I will also. I know that Joseph Smith, who acknowledged that he wasn’t perfect, was nevertheless the chosen instrument in God’s hand to restore the everlasting gospel to the earth. I also know that in doing so—particularly through translating the Book of Mormon—he has taught me more of God’s love, of Christ’s divinity, and of priesthood power than any other prophet of whom I have ever read, known, or heard in a lifetime of seeking."
What exactly does it mean for an apostle to be a special witness of Jesus Christ? Here are some quotes to ponder and think about inorder to answer this question.
Occasionally some will ask whether it is necessary for an Apostle to see the Savior in order to receive that sacred office. A man who served over sixty years in the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, President Joseph Fielding Smith, responded to this question: "It is their privilege to see him if occasion requires, but the Lord has taught that there is a stronger witness than seeing a personage, even of seeing the Son of God in a vision. Impressions on the soul that come from the Holy Ghost are far more significant than a vision." (IE 69:979.)
"The witness," declared Elder Boyd K. Packer, "does not come by seeking after signs. It comes through fasting and prayer, through activity and testing and obedience. It comes through sustaining the servants of the Lord and following them." (CR, Apr. 1971, p. 124.)
It is my belief that our apostles and prophets, even as the apostles and prophets of old, carry a special witness. They have a perfect witness of Jesus Christ. As Elder Bruce R. McConkie said in his last Conference address, "I have a perfect knowledge that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that he was crucified for the sins of the world."
He went on further to say, "I testify that it (The Atonement) took place at Gethsemane and at Golgotha. And as pertaining to Jesus Christ, I testify that he is the Son of the Living God who was crucified for the sins of the world. He is our Lord, our God, and our King. This I know of myself independent of any other person. I am one of his Witnesses. And in the coming day I will feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better than I know now that he is God's almighty Son and he is our Savior and Redeemer and that Salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."
Additionally, it is my firm belief that other members of this Church, not just the apostles and prophets, share this personal witness. I have met some members, particularly in the temple, that the spirit has whispered to me "pay attention to this Saint, they have a personal witness of Christ." Perhaps you have too.
The Lord extends this privilege to all of us. "Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am." (D&C 93:1)
Isn't it great to know that we have some among us who can say "I know Jesus is the Christ," and say it from personal knowledge and not just by belief? It gives me an assurance that Christ is actively involved in the affairs of this Church and the affairs of our personal lives.
I don't quite understand how he is able to have personal relationships with millions, but somehow he does.
Know that he is involved in your life. He knows you. He loves you. And wants you to be his. At times when you think you cannot possibly endure another second, know that he "will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (D&C 84:88)
I have a personal testimony of this in my life.
Love, Dad


No comments:
Post a Comment