Saturday, May 4, 2013

"Know the Shepherd"

While serving on my mission, one night, after my companion and I had finished our day of proselyting,  I laid in my bed and listened to a talk given by Elder Hugh B. Brown. You kids don't remember Elder Brown, as he died in 1975 before any of you were born. He was a great speaker, always captivating his congregation with heart-warming stories.

Well, this night, as I listened to one of his talks, he related a story that deeply touched me as to the type of person I needed to be, and the personal relationship I needed to have with my Savior.

Here's the story:

One time there was a very prominent actor in New York City. He possessed a special oratorical gift which enabled him to completely captivate any audience. One night after his recitation, he was applauded tremendously, and as he come back on stage to take his bows, a lady in the crowd called for him to recite the 23rd Psalm. This request startled the actor, but being familiar with the scripture he consented to do so. 

As he delivered the recitation, he endeavored to mould and beautify it with all the color, emotion, and personality that the long hard years of work had taught him. His delivery was excellent. Nothing had been forgotten or omitted. The crowd burst into a thunderous applause and praised him for his noble talent. 

As the applause subsided, the actor called an old gentleman from the front row to the stage and asked him to also recite the psalm. The old man appeared nervous, but consented. 

As he turned to the crowd he closed his eyes and bowed his head. He spoke the words:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul; He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for Thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou annointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
When the old gentleman finished, there was no thunderous applause; there were no cries of praise; but there was also not a dry eye in the crowd.

The young prominent actor faced the crowd and said, 

"Ladies and gentlemen, I know the words to the 23rd Psalm, but this man knows the shepherd."

This story impressed me in a couple of ways. First, what am I doing, and what can I do, to "know the shepherd." Secondly, it caused me to really ponder the words of the 23rd Psalm.

I ask you to take some time to read the words of the 23rd Psalm, and then ask yourself if you really understand how this short prayer applies to you? As you come to understand the words of this Psalm, apply them in your life. I can promise you as you apply them, you will come to "know the shepherd."

Love, Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment