I am sure that all of us have asked this question many, many times in our life. During difficult times, when we want our Heavenly Father to fix things for us, our prayers are increasing intense. Our hearts are poured out to Him. There may be times when we feel He simply is not listening, because our problems are still there, and sometimes even get worst. I have found that when we are praying for something good, many times, through the efforts of Satan, things do get worst. Brigham Young made a similar comment when he said "You can always know you are on the right tract, because things get worst, just before they get better."
But know, that Heavenly Father is always there. He answers our prayers according to what He knows is best for us, helping us to learn and grow. When we are in the middle of a trial, instead of asking Him to make it all better, we should be asking, "what do you want me to learn from this experience?"
Listen to the words of this primary song, "A Child's Prayer."
Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Pray, he is there;Speak,
Pray, he is there;Speak,
he is list'ning.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav'n.
A couple of principles I want to emphasize from this song:
- He is there.
- He is listening
- He hears your prayer
- It (Heaven) is close around me
- His love now surrounds you
Over the years, at times I have felt my prayers were really awesome and intense, while during other times, they seemed empty and shallow. I had to work hard, by living the commandments and having the right attitude and spirit, to be on a good level with my prayers.
I've learned a few things about the process of prayer that I'd like to share with you, keeping in mind that I am still learning how to draw upon the powers of heaven through prayer.
Here are some principles that I have learned, in no particular order:
- Who can pray - You don't have to be worthy to pray. Anyone can pray, member and non-member alike. I remember the feeling I felt in an obscure village in Nepal, as I listened to a sweet, elderly Nepalese woman as she prayed over her food. I didn't understand her words, but I felt her spirit, and the Lord's spirit. He loves all his children all over the world.
- Faith - This is probably the most important principle. You must believe that God lives and will hear and answer your prayer. It was a 14 year old boy, who, after reading a scripture in the Book of James, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not, and it shall be given him," had the faith that God would hear and answer his prayer. He ended up having one of the most incredible answers to prayer ever recorded.
- Converse - Have a sincere conversation with Heavenly Father. Break out of the daily repetitions of prayer, and just talk to Him. Share your heart-felt feelings. Talk about the events of the day.
- Be Grateful - We have been given so much from the Father. I don't think we can fully comprehend all that we have been given, until the veil is taken from our mind and we see things clearly. So give thanks to Him. There are many daily occurrences we should be thankful for; The air we breathe, the safety in our travels, the companionship of loved ones, the help from others beyond the veil, the comforts of life, and so on.
- Listen - Do we ever take the time to remain on our knees after we have closed our prayer, and listen to the spirit. It is very subtle and sweet, and takes experience to learn its language, its promptings. Sometimes answers come immediately. And sometimes it comes later. Heavenly Father has his own time table, and knows what timing is best for us.
- Act - I've learned that the Father doesn't do things for us that we should do ourselves. He expects us to do all in our power to "make things happen." For example, if we pray for a better job, we should be doing all in our power to develop our skill set and explore job opportunities. If we pray for a better relationship with a spouse or friend, then He expects us to do all in our power to improve that relationship.
- Pray Always - We can have some amazing conversations throughout the day with our Father, as we talk to Him, heart to heart, mind to mind. I don't think I can number the times that I have asked the Father for protection on my motorcycle trips and have received protection. (Of course my deer whistles have also helped) We should be praying at work, at home, at school, at church, at the grocery store, always. The scriptures are full of this "pray always" counsel.
- How the Spirit Speaks - Most prayers are answered very subtly, and can be overlooked unless we are paying attention. Learn to listen to that "still small voice." And remember that you'll not be able to hear it if you mind is cluttered with stuff. Clear your mind and find some quiet moments when the spirit can whisper to you. The spirit can communicate through many different avenues. Pay attention when a person close to you shares a thought or impression. The spirit can and will work through indirect avenues.
- The Scriptures Speak - Answers to prayers will come through the scriptures. If you are not reading them on a regular basis, you'll miss those answers. Most answers to prayers have already been given and recorded in the scriptures by the Lord's messengers. There are also encrypted answers in the scriptures that are only revealed to you at certain times. This happens when a verse of scripture takes on a new meaning you had not seen before.
- Be Patient - Know that the Lord has reasons, that we may never know in this life, for delaying an answer to your prayer. He may also be helping you to learn patience. Answers, at times, can be immediate. But I have found that most answers come over time, sometimes months or years.
- Understand Agency - Remember that we, as well as everyone else, have our agency. The Father cannot force someone to do something. So if you are praying for a person to be changed, that person has to make a choice to change. They can be influenced by heavenly powers to change, but they cannot be forced. This is important to remember.
- Conflicting Requests - It is also good to remember that Heavenly Father is hearing requests from all His children, and will have conflicting requests. While you are praying for rain, someone else may be praying for sunny skies. He'll grant what is best for the over all situation. And sometimes he allows things to happen. "...know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for they good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all, Art thou greater than he?" (D&C 122:7, 8)
- Acceptance - Be willing to accept the answer, yes or no, good or bad. Our will is not always God's will. His answers are ALWAYS for our good in the long run.
This list is not all-inclusive, but are the principles that I have found to be important. So I encourage you to pray often, live the principles of the gospel so that the "windows of heaven" will be opened in your behalf, and strive to improve your dialogue with your Heavenly Father.
He is there, and will listen!
He is there, and will listen!
Love, Dad



No comments:
Post a Comment