Saturday, December 17, 2011

The More We Give, The More We Receive

At this time of year, I have been thinking a lot about my Savior. At times, to me, I am overwhelmed with His love. I can't fully understand His great sacrifice, His bearing of all my sins, my pains and my anguish. All I know is that I will ever be eternally in His debt for the price He paid for me, a price that allows me the opportunity to move forward along the path which leads to the Tree of Life.

So "because I have been given much, I too must give." I hope I can remember that every day.

Last Tuesday night I took the youth Ice Skating. As I was walking up to the entrance of the ice skating rink, I noticed a lady with her arms full of paper cups and napkins, being followed by her son who was struggling to carry a large drink container. I didn't say a word but just walked over and grabbed a handle of the container, and some of her paper cups. I smiled, as they thanked me, and walked into the facility with them, and then walked away after setting the items down.

It wasn't much, but it helped me to realize and understand what the Savior meant when He said "In as much as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matt 25:40) It made me feel warm inside. I don't share this to boast, but share it as an incident that I realized needs to be repeated everyday in my life. I need to be looking outward to help others and not focusing on myself. "For whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." (Matt 16:25)

I hope we as a family can look for the simple acts of kindness we can perform everyday, and not focus as much on our own issues or needs. I don't completely understand how it all works, but it seems...

"...the more we give, the more we receive."

Love,

Dad

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this important message. As I read it, I was reminded of the many, many, many times growing up witnessing my father and mother doing small acts of kindness where ever we went. Thank you for the example of "doing it unto the least of these". "And he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it" matt 10:38

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this post this week. I definately need to be doing more for others cause I have felt so down lately and I think it is cause I have been focusing on myself and not on others. Thanks to you and mom for being the best example of giving!

    ReplyDelete