Sunday, August 12, 2012

Family - The Melting Pot of Goodness

I just spent this past week with some of you at Lake Powell. I did miss others, who had other commitments. But the time I did spend with those that could make it, it helped me to realize just how great and important families are.

Aside from an occasional flying mouse and some bare naked bathers, I enjoyed the time I spent with family. Don't get me wrong, I felt the bats and the full moons added to the experience, but it was the time spent with the ones I love that meant the most.

It caused me to reflect upon the importance of family, and helped me to decide on my blog topic for this week. We are told that the family unit is the most important unit on earth. It is our mini "kingdom," with us as parents, as Gods in embreo or training, over our families. As parents, it is giving us the opportunity, on a much smaller scale, to practice, develop and grow our experience for the big event, when we will have billions of spirit children.

Our family units should be our highest priority. With my volunteer work, over the years, working for upholding the sanctity of the family unit on the grand world stage, I came to realize how the strength of the family, strengthens a community. As the family goes, so goes the country. Countries with deteriorating families, had deteriorating morals in government and general community standards.

We have seen in the world today the decay of standards and morals. The family today, is not the same moral family we had decades ago. Gone are the days of the "Leave it to Beaver" type family structure, being replaced by the undisciplined, do what you want, type family structures. Our children, even though being raised in a "bubble type" area like Utah, are challenged with many bad influences today; music, TV, movies, Internet, etc.

With these many evils about us, how are we to survive and come out with a family founded on high ideals. President Spencer W. Kimball said, "The time will come when only those who believe deeply and actively in the family will be able to preserve their families in the midst of the gathering evil around us. That time is now!"

I feel that Mom and I raised  some pretty remarkable children. You in turn, are raising some pretty remarkable grandchildren. We have often reflected upon why each of you have turned out so well. I don't feel that Mom and I had any magic formulas, or are considered highly talented parents.

I do think, however,  it can be narrowed down to a few distinctive characteristics.

  • You each came into this family with a good spirit, one that had been nurtured and properly developed before this life. 
  • Although not perfect, you were raised in a household that taught you the difference between right and wrong, and the importance of making the right choices. 
  • We were faithful in holding Family Home Evening each and every week. I think we made FHE fun and exciting, and it seemed that you always looked forward to it. 
  • We loved you, and you knew that we loved you, and would do anything for you. 
  • We made it easy for you to talk with us. I know that you always loved talking with your mother. And I enjoyed our casual PPI's.

We are not the perfect family, but we are closer to perfection, I think, than most  families out there.

I hope you, my children, will continue to carry on the legacy of the Stone children. Continue  what you are doing. You are doing a great work with your children. Mom and I see it. We see the love you have for each of your children.

We are proud of you and the work you are doing with your families. Continue on in this important responsibility. The blessings will come!

Love, Dad

2 comments:

  1. Amen to what Dad has said. We have been blessed with an amazing family. It means a lot to see how you love and support one another, and us. I love each of you with all my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the best family and you guys did an amazing job raising us! Love you!

    ReplyDelete