Sunday, August 19, 2012

Why I believe

Next year I will turn 60 years of age. When I think of that age, I think of what my parents looked like when they were 60 years old. They looked old. But for some reason, 60 does not seem that old to me.

Over the course of my 60 years, I have experienced many things, good and bad. I have waded through great challenges. I have been blessed with unbelievable experiences, many of which I have shared with you.

With the witness of the births of each of my children, I marveled at the miracle of creation. At each birth I felt a spiritual handoff from the heavens to the Stone family, with many unseen relatives in the delivery room. I don't understand how an atheist, after witnessing the miracle of birth, can say there is no God.

I don't think I can ever remember a time when I doubted and not believed in the Church. I have always believed it. My earliest recollection of my Church experiences was in the Long Beach 5th Ward. I grew up in this Ward until I was 12, when we moved from Long Beach to Bellflower. I can remember my excitement, as a young primary kid in Long Beach, as I learned about the Prophet Joseph Smith, his vision of the Father and the Son. I believed that story with all my heart. Even at this early age, I can remember something strange going on inside my chest as I heard about Joseph Smith for the first time. I knew it was true then, and I know it is true now.

A few years ago, I had an opportunity of a lifetime, to climb upon my trusty iron horse and journey back through church history, and walk where Joseph walked. In the sacred grove, on the streets of Nauvoo, on the banks of the Susquehanna River, I had confirmation after confirmation of the truth of the Prophet Joseph Smith and this great gospel work. These confirmations came, and they came strong. There were times that I was so overcome by the spirit that I found it difficult to breathe. It reconfirmed that feeling I felt in my childhood primary class.

During this trip I developed a close kinship with Joseph Smith. I felt like I had known him all my life, and even before this life. As I relived his experiences in Palmyra, Kirtland, Nauvoo and Carthage, my endearence to him grew all the greater.

He is the greatest of all the prophets who ever lived upon this earth. All the prophets throughout history, saw Joseph Smith of the latter days. They saw our day. They saw you and Me. They realized how important our day was. The fullness of the Gospel was to be restored.

I know Joseph Smith is a prophet. I know he saw God and His Son. I know he brought forth the Book of Mormon, which is true. I know we have the true church, along with the priesthood authority to perform all the ordinances of salvation. Why do I know these things? Because I have seen and I have felt God throughout my life, at various times and in various places, revealing these truths. I have seen him in the creations around us, in the sun, the moon and the stars. In the 88 section of the Doctrine and Covenants, verses 45 - 47 it says, The earth rolls upon her wings, and the sun giveth his light by day, and the moon giveth her light by night, and the stars also give their light, as they roll upon their wings int their glory, in the midst of the power of God. Unto what shall I liken these kingdoms, that ye may understand? Behold, all these are kingdoms, and any man who hath seen any or the least of these hath seen God moving in his majesty and power.

I hope that each of you will work towards building your testimony and belief about these things. For I feel that events and situations will come in your life that will challenge those beliefs. If you are not built upon a strong foundation, you could falter.

Love, Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment