This past week for me has been one full of anguish, emotion, doubt and fear, as I've tried to work through the lingering issues involved with my company's closure. It's been tough. I've been down this road before, and it wasn't pleasant then, and it isn't now... until I attended the temple on Thursday evening.
I went by myself, hoping to find answers and comfort for my troubled heart. Comfort was given and answers received. As I sat in the chapel, waiting for the next session, I sat there pondering. Looking at the picture in the front of the chapel of Christ in Gethsemane, a scripture came into my mind, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." (Matt 11:28-30)
As I pondered that scripture, I felt a warm feeling that started in the middle of my chest, and slowly moved outward, until my whole body was warm. I thought about Joseph Smith's 6 month incarceration in a dirty and cold Liberty jail. The words of the Lord to him at that time, came into my mind, "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then if thous endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. (D&C 121:7-8)
I realized, as I sat in the chapel, I was being schooled. I needed to learn from these experiences. As hard and difficult as it may seem, there are those that have suffered far greater. "The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou great than he?" (D&C 122:8)
Our group in the chapel was called up, and I arose and walked up to the 3rd floor and into the endowment room. As I sat there waiting, I pulled out my blue slip of paper and read the name of the person I was going through for. His name was Edward Hutson, born in Tennessee over a hundred years ago. As I was thinking about him and if he had accepted the gospel, I felt his presence. He spoke to me in my mind, and thanked me for being there that day. He said that he knew what I was going through and that he would help, because I was there helping him. He told me that all will be well. Just have patience, and the Lord would lift me above my afflictions. I also felt many others with me in the temple.
As I participated in the temple ordinance, watching the temple movie depict the the war of good versus evil, I realized the outcome; that Satan is banished, good wins, and we enter into the rest of the Lord. I will always come out on top, no matter how hard the road, as long as I put my trust in the Lord and followed his counsel.
As I moved to the veil, and participated in those sacred tokens, I was stopped a couple of times for not giving the right new name. I told the ordinance worker it was the name that was given to me. This new name was a very special name to me. The veil superviser was called over, and the problem explained. He then went to the other side of the veil and told the temple worker that was receiving me to accept this name.
Having served in the temple for many years, this has never been the procedure. When this happens you are pulled aside and given the correct new name, and then go forward with that. I felt that I and Brother Hutson shared a special new name together that night.
So, I learned some important lessons Thursday night. That the Lord knows us personally. That he loves us. That he is in control. And as we turn our lives over to him, he will carry and lift us to higher heights. He, along with his angels, will fight our fights, give aid and support, and comfort us. All we have to do is to open our hearts and let him in. We have to humble ourselves and realize that we can't do it on our own. That we need him.
I'm moving forward with a lot more faith, with a greater confidence in a higher power. Whatever the future holds, I will work through it and come out on top.
Thanks to all of you for your prayers and faith... Thanks Dad ... Thanks Edward Hutson ... and thanks Sienna.
Love, Dad



I can't stop bawling as I am reading this. Dad you are an amazing man! I can't imagine how hard everything is for you right now. But I have been told several times by Sienna that she needs to be with you at this time and she is taking care of you. Thank you for your strength and example you are to me of enduring things. I love you Daddy and you are in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteWe love you!!!!!!
ReplyDelete