As you all know, whenever I see a beautiful sunset, I always refer to it as a sign. I've had many beautiful sunsets over the course of my life, that have been signs to bring me comfort and assurance that God knows me and my circumstances.
This past week, as I was struggling with the challenges of life, Heavenly Father sent me a sign, but this time in the form of a dove. This dove landed on the railing of our back deck. Mom saw it first, and called to me downstairs to come up and see this dove. I had a few things to finish on my computer, and then I went upstairs.
To my amazement was a dove perched on the railing of the deck. To my knowledge, we've never had a dove land on our back deck. Why this dove? And why now? It faced towards us, as if to be speaking to us. I watched it for several minutes, exchanging glances, then I left for work.
As I was driving to work I pondered about the significance of this dove and the doves in the scriptures. It was a dove that was present at the baptism of Christ, as it descended as the Holy Ghost. A dove brought Noah an olive branch as a sign from God that the waters were receding, and that he was about to embark on a new life with his precious cargo.
The prophet Joseph Smith said this about doves: "The dove was the emblem chosen from the beginning to represent truth, innocence, and the Spirit itself."
Throughout history, Heavenly Father has sent doves, as representations of his spirit, to give comfort.
As I was pondering this, I had the Spirt whisper to me that this dove was sent from Heavenly Father to me personally, assuring me that all will be well, letting me know that he knows me and my needs personally. I was overwhelmed with the thought that Almighty God, who is all powerful, would take notice of me, and send me a sign in the form of a dove.
I don't quite understand how he can give each of his children personal attention like this. How can he answer everyone's prayers and have a perfect understanding of all our needs. I don't have answers on how he does.
This much I do know... last week he sent me a dove. And because of this I know that he knows me and my needs, and will do what is best for me. All I need to do is to cast away my doubt and fears, and put my trust in him.
Love, Dad

No comments:
Post a Comment