Anyway, as I was cleaning the boat and thinking about the race, a little voice said to me, "you need to be there." I was tired from a long day of boating. But I have learned to listen to those voices. It wasn't until the end of the race that I realized the importance of me being there.
So I cleaned myself up, kissed my honey good-bye, and headed towards Logan. Sarah and Adam didn't know I was coming, and I figured I would call them when I got there, to find out where they were staying so I could park my car in the parking lot of the hotel and sleep in my car.
When I arrived in Logan around 10:30, I called Sarah. I asked how they were doing and if Adam was all ready. She said he was all prepared and they were getting ready for bed. I asked where they were staying, and she said the Hampton Inn. I told her that I was in Logan and if I could park my car in the parking lot of the hotel and sleep in the car. She was pretty surprised, and insisted that I sleep in their room. Did I mention that they had their whole family with them?
So when I walked into their "small" two bed- hotel room, there were kids sleeping all over the floor. There were kids between the beds, under the desk, in the corners... they were all over the place. You could not walk without stepping on two or three of them. I told Sarah, I'll just sleep in my car. And she again insisted, and I said where? She said you can sleep right in the hallway, in front of the door. So that is where I slept.
Okay, back to why I was prompted to go. One of the participants of Team Tak was Michael Hurd. Michael is 63 years old and has participated in four previous Lotoja races. This was his 5th year. If he completed the race this year, he would earn the prestigious 1,000 mile award, for having raced in five 200 mile Lotoja races.
After all of the Team Tak participants came across the finish line, Michael was no where to be seen. We waited and waited. No Michael. As the sun set, and the skies darkened, the race was going to be called. Once the race was called, and you come across the finish line, it doesn't count. It was getting darker, and was 8:20 PM. We heard the announcer say that the race was going to be called in in 5 minutes. Sarah heard from Michael's wife that he was out 3 kilometers. That is just over a mile. There was no way he would make it in time.
At that time I felt prompted to go talk to the race official and let him know about Michael, and that he was trying for his 1,000 mile award. He listened to me, but said that once the official from the National Cycling Association called the race, it was official and that no one after that point would count. I thanked him and walked back to the finish line to wait for Michael. I heard the national official call the race, and Michael was no where to be seen. I felt bad for him.
After a minute went by, the person I spoke with sought me out and told me that as soon as Michael came across the finish line to have him, as quickly as possible, turn in his ankle chip, and get it logged. I told him okay, not knowing for sure what that meant. Michael crossed the finish line about a minute after that.
I had him turn in his chip. Michael could barely walk. I grabbed his arm and his bike and we walked over to the timers station to talk with the official timer about Michael's issue. In talking with the official timer and explaining Michael's predicament, he said "let me just check to see if his time got logged in before the race was called." In checking his computer, he said that Michael had a logged time and that his race was official.
There was no way that he crossed the line before it was called. I was there and I witnessed it. I sought out the official that I originally talked to and told him just what happened. He smiled and said that after talking with me, and when the national official called the race, he only turned off the visual time clock above the finish line, but left the chip clock running for another 5 minutes. That was enough time for Michael to cross the finish line and be counted. Had I not been there to ask the official, Michael's time would not have been counted. So there was a reason I was needed.
Now there is a lot more to this story that contributed to Michael's finishing the race. There is not time enough to share it here. But let me just say there was some help from other sources, team mates, a mystery rider and Tak himself, that aided in Michael's finish. Ask Sarah or me, and we'd be glad to share it.
Oh, by the way, Adam did awesome!
What else did I learn from Lotoja 2013? It inspired me to do more with my cycling. Who knows, I might just try one of these 200 mile races...
Love, Dad
I can not wait to hear more about this race. What an inspirational story! Go team Tak!
ReplyDelete