After completing Teresa's Book of Mormon challenge, I decided to read Joseph Smith's history. As you know, I have been a lifetime student of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I have always been drawn to him, his experiences and his doctrines and teachings. With my motorcycle trips to Kirtland and Palmyra, I developed an even deeper love for this great man. Often times when I am struggling with a trial, I'll remember the great struggles that Joseph endured, and it seems to make my burdens seem a little lighter.
I've always been intrigued with the heavenly experiences of Joseph Smith. In reading his history, it seems that he knew all the Book of Mormon Prophets, as well as the early New Testament apostles and the Old Testament prophets. George Q. Cannon said, "Not only did Moroni appear unto the Prophet from time to time, but other heavenly beings visited him before he was privileged to obtain the plates."
We don't really think of anyone else visiting him other than the Father and the Son, and Moroni. Speaking of Moroni, if I were to ask you how many times you thought that Moroni visited with Joseph Smith, what would you say? Well, there have been 23 documented and recorded times that we know of. It could be a lot more, but this is the number that has been documented.
John Taylor said, "when Joseph Smith was raised up as a Prophet of God, Mormon, Moroni, Nephi, and others of the ancient Prophets who formerly lived on this Continent... came to him and communicated to him certain principles pertaining to the Gospel." We know that he was visited by John the Baptist and Peter, James and John. But these were not single occurrences. Heber C. Kimball said that when the Twelve were anointed in the Kirtland Temple "John stood in their midst, while Peter was in the stand." Later, when the Prophet was in Missouri, he reportedly stated that he had "a conversation a few days ago with the Apostle Peter."
John Taylor also said, "If you were to ask Joseph what sort of a looking man Adam was, he would tell you at once; he would tell you his size and appearance and all about him." Joseph also said that his brother Alvin "was a very handsome man, surpassed by none other but Adam and Seth."
Joseph knew the apostle Paul. In 1841 he gave a detail description of him: "He is about five foot high; very dark hair; dark complexion; dark skin; large Roman nose; sharp face; small black eyes, penetrating as eternity; round shoulders; a whining voice, except when elevated and then it almost resembles the roaring of a Lion. He was a good orator active and diligent, always employing himself in doing good to his fellow men."
Others who ministered to Joseph Smith were the three Nephites. Heber C. Kimbal reported the appearance of one of them to the Prophet in the early days of the Church, near the Hill Cumorah. Later, Kimball's wife, Vilate, wrote informing her husband that Joseph had received a visit from one of the Nephites and had been informed of things that would shortly transpire in America and in the British Isles. The Prophet is also reported to have seen the three Nephites when the Saints were making a defense of Far West.
John Taylor also said, "The principles which he had, placed him in communication with the Lord, and not only with the Lord, but with the ancient apostles and prophets; such men, for instance, as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Noah, Adam, Seth, Enoch, and Jesus and the Father, and the apostles that lived on this continent as well as those who lived on the Asiatic continent.
Joseph Smith was a great man, a visionary man. "Joseph Smith has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world than any other man that every lived in it. (John Taylor)
Although we may not measure up to the same caliber as Joseph Smith, we too can see and hear from the beyond the veil, as he did. We can commune with heavenly beings. Next time when you feel the presence of angels - stop, feel and listen. They will speak to you, I bear testimony of that.
If you have doubts, or if your testimony needs a little boost. Take a moment to listen to an apostle's testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. Elder Holland gave one of the most powerful testimonies, that I believe I have ever heard, of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. And with his testimony, I add mine, that I know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God. That the Book of Mormon is the word of God. And that we have restored to this earth, God's kingdom. I also bear my personal witness that His messengers, His angels are always around us. We are never, ever alone. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Love,
Dad

So I decided to catch up on your blog and finally watch this movie and all I have to say is WOW! That testimony was amazing! I have goosebumps and couldn't stop crying. I feel so grateful to be apart of this gospel and to have finished the book of mormon in one month. Thanks for your testimony. I really enjoy reading your posts each week cause they help me to stay on the path and to have the spirit with me during the week.
ReplyDelete