Ponder: To meditate and think deeply, often upon the scriptures or other things of God. When combined with prayer, pondering the things of God may bring revelation and understanding. (LDS Guide to the Scriptures)
Sunday, January 1, 2012
As We Start A New Year - Putting Things Into Perspective
As we start a new year, looking forward and not back, this video has helped me to put things into perspective. I've watched it many times. It is a classic.
As we move forward, putting one foot in front of the other, let's put things into perspective and remember our divine origin, as well as our eternal direction. I know for me, I sometimes get so caught up in the daily challenges, that I momentarily forget my eternal context, getting pulled into the moment.
We are God's children, His off-spring. Our main purpose, as well as His, is for us to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." Christ has already accomplished part one of this goal through His resurrection. It is up to us, with the help of our Heavenly Father and our Savior, to accomplish part two, that of achieving Eternal Life.
We know what we need to do. We have been schooled over and over again by our parents, our primary teachers, or Relief Society teachers, our Prophets and Apostles, our leaders and the scriptures. It really is all about not losing that perspective. Keeping things in perspective is simply not allowing the world to distract us.
I have often quoted this advice from President Benson: "When we put God firs, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities." -- President Ezra Taft Benson
As we journey through 2012, let's put God first, and everything else will fall into its proper place. Now that is perspective.
Love,
Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I look forward to Sunday because I know I will get to read a new gem from my dad. Thank you dad. This has helped me pause today and reflect on the coming year and what I want to become. That video clip was amazing! I also want to comment about last weeks post. I read it and watched that clip many times throughout the week. As we've ended our book of mormon reading, one thing that I learned the most was how much the book of mormon was a testimate of jesus christ. I've read it many times, but never this fast. This book is truely a manual of the savior and his church. I'm so grateful for it and all who sacrificed so I may have it in my life
ReplyDeleteThanks Becca. I suggest bookmarking the video from Elder Bushe, and watch it several times throughout the year. It has certainly helped me work through some tough times and remember what is most important.
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa for the Book of Mormon Challenge. It gave me a different approach to reading the Book of Mormon. I'm now starting over again, but studying each verse more carefully. I'm looking up all the cross references. It is helping to really understand the meaning of each verse of scripture.
But, I am grateful for the challenge you gave to each of us. It was an amazing experience.
I love that video and saw it not too long ago. I am so glad we all did this challenge and that I wasn't alone in it. It makes me not want to miss a day of reading the scriptures. Now I am going through and reading all the conference talks then I want to study the doctrine and covenants. Thanks again for your example. Like Becca I look forward to reading these every week cause they help me refocus on the savior and the true meaning of why we are here on this earth.
ReplyDeleteYes, Teresa, your challenge has helped a lot of us focus more on the scriptures. Thanks!
ReplyDelete.... Comment.
ReplyDeleteThat is an amazing video. It makes everything so clear and right in my mind with things in my own life. I want so badly to be all the Lord wants me to be and what he has designed me to be. But during these times when the path seems so simple, the next moment comes along and I realize just how weak I am, and how far I still have to go. I am so grateful for my Savior and his ultimate sacrifice, example, and love for me. Thank you dad for these moments in our dad to be up lifted and guided by the spirit. Thank you to my sibling for your comments, example, and friendship. Jennica, what a great opportunity this blog will be to still have and be apart of those "late night chats" about spiritual things. How blessed we are to be apart of such an amazing family. I love you all!
ReplyDeleteSorry; moments in our day, not dad. (typo)
ReplyDelete