Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Sacrament - Do we really partake with meaning?

When we partake of the Sacrament each week, does it have a "profound" weekly effect upon us, or has it become too common that we lose the extremely important part it should play in this weekly priesthood ordinance? I must admit  at times, if I really don't focus my thoughts and my spirit towards the Sacrament while I'm participating, it comes and goes, and I'm unchanged by its power.

I have come to realize just how powerful the Sacrament can be in our lives each week. It truly has a power, that if utilized, will make us stronger spiritually and bring us closer to God. In the D & C 84:20-22 it says, "Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest. And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh; For without this no man can see the face of God, even the Father, and live."

Adam's transgression took us away from the presence of the Lord. Christ's Atonement and the remembrance of that Atonement (The Sacrament), brings us back into His presence. So it is very important that we allow the "power of godliness" to manifest itself in and through us.

So just what is the power of godliness? To me, the power of godliness is the power of the priesthood which changes, heals and improves our lives. As we participate in this holy ordinance the power of the priesthood cleanses and "...are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their (our) bodies." D & C 84:33

As we partake of the Sacrament, having kept the commandments during the week, the Atonement performs a cleansing action, we come closer to God and  our bodies receive more light and knowledge. The Atonement, and the Sacrament which renews the atoning powers, has remarkable powers to change us each week.

This Sunday, ponder the marvelous power of the Sacrament, and the great atoning sacrifice that Christ performed, and allow the change to take place as the "power of godliness" is manifest to you through this holy ordinance.

Love,

Dad

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this message. During the sacrament today, I was distracted by trying to keep my children reverant. And in the middle of it, I silently asked for a moment that I might be able to reflect the Savior. It was through that moment, my children didn't all of the sudden sit still with their arms folden, but as I felt great love for them I felt great love for my Savior. I was grateful for that. Even though I have young children, I can still focus on the Savior and be cleansed by the atonement. I hope I can more fully focus during this sacred ordinance to allow the power of godliness work over me.

    ReplyDelete